‘This is the player I love to watch,’ Andy Murray praises young star
Andy Murray took to social media to praise a young American at the Citi Open, saying it is the ‘sort of player he loves to watch’.
Murray, who recently starred at the Tokyo Olympics alongside Joe Salisbury, is now enjoying the Citi Open and took to Twitter to voice his admiration for Jenson Brooksby.
The 20-year-old American has recently emerged on the ATP tour, reaching the final at Newport in July before booking a semi-final spot in Washington this week.
“Jenson Brooksby is the sort of player I love to watch,” said the three-time Grand Slam champion on Friday.
“Lots of variety, high tennis IQ and great in defence. His slice and backhand volley are almost identical to Florian Mayer.”
Following his praise for Brooksby, one fan referenced the time when Murray tipped French star Caroline Garcia to be world number one: “Just don’t say he’s a future number one, we know how that ends,” said the fan.
The former world number one came back firing with a sarcastic response: “Yeah he might get to number four in singles and number one in doubles. That would be awful,” discussing the impressive achievements of Garcia.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner