‘This is the grace of our sport’ – Rafael Nadal shoots down Novak Djokovic wind complaint
Rafael Nadal has disagreed with Novak Djokovic about how hard the wind is making thigs at the Monte-Carlo Masters.
Djokovic suffered a surprise defat to British number one Dan Evans on Thursday, and afterwards said the wind made the match ‘tough to play.’
Nadal had no such problems on court in the following match, dropping just two games to former world number three Grigor Dimitrov and winning in less than an hour.
And, when asked about the conditions after the match, he says he has known it to be far worse in this tournament.
“The wind was tolerable, this is not a real wind, far from it,” Nadal said.
“In the semi-finals that I lost against Fognini here [in 2019] there was wind, or when I beat Federer at Roland Garros a couple of years ago.
“This is the grace of our sport, we play on open courts with changing conditions, with a decisive impact on the game, especially on clay.
“You have to be prepared to accept things.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner