‘This is so big for me’ – Hubert Hurkacz upsets Daniil Medvedev
Hubert Hurkacz said it is “so big for him” to reach the quarter-finals of Wimbledon after defeating Daniil Medvedev in five sets.
The 24-year-old Pole defeated second seed Medvedev 2-6, 7-6 (7-2), 3-6, 6-3, 6-3 in the fourth round at the All England Club.
It is the first time the world No. 18 has reached the last eight of a Grand Slam tournament.
The match started yesterday on Court Two, before play was suspended during set four due to rain. Hurkacz broke in the opening game on Centre Court today and served out in style to force a fifth set decider.
Momentum was with the Pole when he crucially broke for a 2-1 lead. Exceptional serving and shot-making saw Hurkacz take the deciding set 6-3 and reach his first ever Grand Slam quarter-final.
Dropping into the #Wimbledon quarter-finals like…
— Wimbledon (@Wimbledon) July 6, 2021
“Playing on this court which is the best in the world, the crowd were magnificent, so special. Daniil is an unbelievable player, we were battling yesterday out on Court Two, playing number two player in the world is very tough, this is so big for me.” Hurkacz said.
“Stopping yesterday during fourth set was the first time for me, we tried to do things better that wasn’t working yesterday and I done a good job today.”
He will face Roger Federer in the quarter-finals tomorrow.
“Roger is unbelievable for the sport, the way he plays, titles he wins and the way he inspires people. It’ll be a great battle, I hope to have some support.” the Pole added.
- Keep up to date with all the breaking Wimbledon News
- Enjoy our exclusive & free ‘Guide to Wimbledon 2021′
- Order the bumper Wimbledon special issue of Tennishead magazine
- Follow our live commentary from all the biggest matches at Wimbledon
- Don’t miss a thing with our Wimbledon Live Scores service
- Follow Tennishead at Wimbledon on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all Tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner