‘This is a good start!’ – Serena Williams happy after Australian Open first round demolition
Serena Williams declared herself very happy with her performance following her first round win over Laura Siegemund.
Williams was in dominant mood against the German, who will be disappointed she didn’t mount a greater challenge to the 23-time Grand Slam winner.
Serena lost her first service game of the match during a clearly nervous opening to the match, but she soon got into her stride and asserted herself.
“This is a good start,” Williams said on court after the 6-1, 6-1 demolition.
“Definitely vintage Rena. I’m pretty good at pacing myself in a grand slam.”
Serena Williams also referenced the crowds at Melbourne Park, which are the biggest a tennis event has been since March 2020 when the initial coronavirus outbreak shut down the world.
“This is amazing. Last year was very crazy for the world. To do what I love and be able to come out here and compete at a grand slam makes me appreciate it even more.”
Williams will now play Nina Stojanovic, who won in straight-sets against Irina-Camelia Begu.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner