‘Thiem is one of the best players in the world, but I deserved to win,’ says Schwartzman
Diego Schwartzman hailed Dominic Thiem as ‘one of the best players in the world’ after dumping the Australian out of Roland Garros.
Thiem came to Paris riding a wave of optimism after winning his first Grand Slam title at the US Open last month.
He looked a little leggy at times as a result of his efforts in New York, but Schwartzman was well worth of his 7-6 (7-1), 5-7, 6-7 (6-8), 7-6 (7-5), 6-2 victory.
“Dominic is one of the best players right now in the world,” Schwartzman said after the match, which lasted over five hours.
“He won the last Grand Slam, he is a two-time finalist here, and I have a lot of respect for him.
“That’s why this match is very important for me. I played a few five-setters here and I never won. I think at the end this night I deserved to win.”
The win puts Schwartzman into his first ever Grand Slam semi-final, where he may face Rafael Nadal, who he beat in Rome two weeks ago.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner