‘There is only one Federer,’ Gasquet relishes clash despite abysmal record
French star Richard Gasquet admitted he is relishing the challenge of playing Roger Federer despite a poor record against the Swiss star.
Gasquet, who is a two-time semi-finalist at Wimbledon, said he was looking forward to a meeting with Federer ever since he saw the draw and knew it would be a match worthy of Centre Court.
The 35-year-old came through comfortably against Yuichi Sugita 7-6, 4-6, 6-2, 6-1, whilst Federer can count himself a little fortunate after Adrian Mannarino was forced to withdraw with a knee complaint in the fifth set.
“When I was in the first round, I saw the draw. I knew I could play Roger in the second round,” Gasquet told the ATP Tour website before Thursday’s second-round match.
“Of course, it’s wonderful for me, because I will play on Centre Court. It’s Roger Federer, I’ve played him many times.”
The pair have met 20 times in their illustrious careers, though Gasquet has only tasted victory twice against the Swiss, with his last win coming in Rome back in 2011. In their last 10 meetings, Federer has not dropped a set against the Frenchman.
Ahead of his clash against the 20-time Grand Slam champion, Gasquet, who is known for possessing an aesthetically pleasing backhand, said there is more to the ‘greatest’ debate than just Grand Slam titles.
“There is technique, the beauty of the game, the motion,” he added. “He’s a classic player, an incredible player, the best player to watch. There is only one Roger Federer.”
- Keep up to date with all the breaking Wimbledon News
- Enjoy our exclusive & free ‘Guide to Wimbledon 2021′
- Order the bumper Wimbledon special issue of Tennishead magazine
- Follow our live commentary from all the biggest matches at Wimbledon
- Don’t miss a thing with our Wimbledon Live Scores service
- Follow Tennishead at Wimbledon on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all Tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner