‘There are so many things I want to fix before US Open’ insists Naomi Osaka
Japanese star Naomi Osaka crashed out of the 2021 Western & Southern Open in round three, losing 3-6, 6-3, 6-3 to Jil Teichmann.
Osaka insisted she was not surprised by the Swiss’ level after watching her play in Australia earlier this year.
“Honestly, it (Teichmann’s level) didn’t really surprise me as much,” Osaka said. “I remember watching her play against Coco in Australia. I was thinking, like, this girl is really talented. It really doesn’t surprise me at all. And also, people play me at a really high level, so I’m always kind of ready for that.”
The 23-year-old insisted her game needs some fine-tuning ahead of US Open, and believes a defeat could be a blessing in disguise as it allows her extra time to prepare.
“I would say for me, even though she played really well, I know that there is a lot of things I need to fix within my game, so in a weird way I’m kind of glad that I lost, because there are so many things that I want to fix before New York,” added the Japanese.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner