‘The kid has an incredible backhand!’ – Stan Wawrinka dumped out of Italian Masters by teenager
Three time Grand Slam winner Stan Wawrinka has been dumped out of the Italian Masters by 18-year-old Lorenzo Musetti on Tuesday.
Musetti, whose backhand has been described as ‘incredible’ by former world number one Jim Courier, was a qualifier in Rome.
However, not only did he beat Wawrinka, he even bagelled him in an astonishing first set before wrapping up a 6-1, 7-6 (7-2) win.
“First set was almost perfect. Second set he tried to play better,” Musetti said.
“He was focused on the match and he wanted to win the set, but I served really good. I mixed a lot with the wide serve, T and body serve.
I think the serve was the key to have the lead of the game.
Musetti will face another difficult test next in the form of 2014 US Open finalist Kei Nishikori, but he’s up for the challenge.
“I have seen him play on television and I know he is a very tough player,” said Musetti of Nishikori.
“I’m going to enjoy the victory before I start thinking about my match against Nishikori.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner