‘The days of me playing every week are gone’ – Dominic Thiem on change to his scheduling
Dominic Thiem revealed he has changed his approach to scheduling with the goal of playing less to be “at the top of my game” for events he plays.
Since his rise to the top, the Austrian has been known as being one of the higher ranked players who enters the most tournaments.
The world No. 4 played in his first event following a six-week break at the Madrid Masters last week.
“Those days (of playing most weeks) are gone. I think it’s more normal when you’re 21, 22 to play week after week, after week,” Thiem told ATP Tennis TV.
“Now I’m 27, I think it’s my eighth year on tour and also before there was Challengers, Futures, the Juniors tour. So, travelling week in, week out, practising every day.
“Of course at one point, you feel all this and the more years you put in your body and also in your mind, the more difficult it gets to play week after week.
“So, I will reduce it a little bit and then it will also get easier to be at 100% the tournaments I play. And that’s my goal – to play maybe a little bit less tournaments but be at the top of my game in the ones I participate in.”
The Austrian will play Marton Fucsovics in the opening round of this week’s Italian Open on Wednesday.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner