Tennishead on Tour: Hamburg Open doubles final
Second-seeded Canadian Daniel Nestor and Nenad Zimonjic of Serbia took on American twins the Bryan brothers for the Hamburg Open title on Sunday and Tennishead was courtside.
The Canadian-Serb team upset the seedings to win 6-4, 5-7, 10-8 and capture their first title since October 2007.
It was great to get them back at the Hamburg Open [after losing in the Rome final], Nestor said. We won the first set with an early break. I thought we were the better team both weeks in the first set.
“But you can only expect the best in the world to come back strong in the second. That was unfortunate. But the tie-break was very high quality tennis, higher quality than most weeks. And it was great to serve on match point.
Zimonjic said the relatively new pairing is only just starting to gel. I think we have a great future, he said.
At the beginning of this season it was really frustrating because we had four, five matches where we really could have won.
It’s very tough to play them [the Bryan brothers], but I’m sure it’s very tough for them as well to play us. I’m looking forward to meeting them in the finals whenever it’s possible, they have been achieving this, waiting for whoever comes to the finals. Our job is to make it there. I’m looking forward now to Roland Garros. I think this is a great boost.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner