Sweden upset cup holders Argentina in the World Team Cup
The 2007 World Team Cup champions Argentina were shocked by Sweden as the opening group matches concluded at the Rochusclub in Dusseldorf on Monday.
Eight nations are divided into two groups of four over the week-long event, with the group winners facing off for the title on Saturday. Each tie consists of two singles and a doubles.
Robin Soderling was the form player for the Swedes, thrashing Guillermo Canas in straight sets on Sunday. Juan Ignacio Chela levelled the tie with victory over Thomas Johansson, before Robert Lindstedt and Soderling teamed up for a decisive doubles victory in the Red Group clash.
The USA were the other winners in that group thanks to a 2-1 victory over the Czech Republic.
In the Blue Group hosts Germany tasted victory in their opening match when they beat Spain 2-1. Russia were the other winners on day two as they completed a 2-1 victory over Italy.
Elsewhere, it’s a busy week on tour with four French Open warm-up events taking place around the globe.
All the top seeds at the ATP Grand Prix Hassan II in Casablanca, Morocco, came through first round matches unscathed.
Top seed Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and fellow Frenchman Gael Monfils both enjoyed wins against Albert Montanes and Guillermo Garcia Lopez respectively. There was even a rare victory for former French Open runner-up Guillermo Coria.
And at the Hypo Group Tennis International in Austria, top seed Nikolay Davydenko had few problems in his first match, thrashing Austrian wild card Rainer Eitzinger 6-1, 6-1.
On the women’s tour, world No.7 Elena Dementieva is the big name at the Tier 3 Istanbul Cup in Turkey. The Russian top seed receives a bye into the second round.
The only shock on Monday saw Slovenia’s Andreja Klepac bundle out fifth-seeded Swede Sofia Arvidsson 6-3, 7-6, while there were routine victories for fourth seed Olga Govortsova and the number seven seed Jill Craybas.
At the WTA Tier 3 Strasbourg Open in north-east France, China’s Peng Shuai set up a meeting with the top seed Marion Bartoli.
Shua was one of a handful of players to come through first round matches at the $175,000 clay court event with a 6-2, 7-6 victory over Ioana Raluca Olaru from Romania.
There were also wins for fourth seed Flavia Pennetta, sixth seed Anabel Medina Garrigues and seventh seed Ai Sugiyama.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner