Stefanos Tsitsipas wary of resilient Andy Murray ahead of first-round clash
World number three Stefanos Tsitsipas is wary of Andy Murray ahead of their US Open first round clash and insists the Brit ‘won’t give up’.
The Greek star is one of the favourites to lift the US Open title, though is refusing to look beyond his tricky first-round tie against the returning Andy Murray.
Murray, who is one of three Brits in the men’s main draw, lifted the title back in 2012 and has a 65% win percentage against top 10 opponents.
“I’m focusing on what’s next,” said Tsitsipas. “This is way too deep to look into. I’ve got to stay in the moment.”
“He [Murray] is still on. He’s someone that has been putting a lot of work in to get back and has been playing very good tennis to be standing where he is at right now.
“I’m going to go for it, try my chances against him. He’s someone that won’t give up. I’ll have to bring some good tennis from my side.”
The intriguing first round clash will be the first career meeting between the two, with the victor facing either Pierre-Hugues Herbert or Adrian Mannarino.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel- Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner