Stefanos Tsitsipas to miss Davis Cup tie due to foot injury that ‘was present throughout the US tour’, says father
Stefanos Tsitsipas will miss Greece’s Davis Cup tie against Lithuania due to a foot injury. The 23-year-old’s father revealed the injury had been troubling his son throughout the US tour.
“This injury was present throughout the US tour, at the US Open, in Toronto, in Cincinnati and at the Olympics,” Apostolos Tsitsipas said. “Specialized measures were taken to deal with this problem, but it was considered necessary to rest (after the US Open) for two weeks. Stefanos came here with the belief that he will play, of course.”
Tsitsipas tried hard to recover in time to take to the court, however his father insisted he is improving and was able to hit in the last few days.
“Stefanos has been recovering all this time,” Apostolos said. “Today he hit the field for half an hour, he tried things. He knows his body very well and I think he will make the decision, to say that he is ready to do what he needs to do the next two days.”
Tsitsipas was heavily criticised at US Open for taking lengthy toilet breaks in matches against Andy Murray and Carlos Alcaraz. With just two months left of the 2021 season, Tsitsipas will be hoping for a strong finish.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner