Stefanos Tsitsipas suffers Olympic heartbreak against Ugo Humbert
Stefanos Tsitsipas became the highest seed to fall at the Olympics after a shock three-set defeat at the hands of Frenchman Ugo Humbert.
The Greek got off to the perfect start after taking the opening set 6-2, though his French opponent battled back impressively to win the next two sets 7-6 (4), 6-2 to book a quarter-final spot.
Tsitsipas, who was a strong favourite to win a medal in the singles in Tokyo, seemed to have picked up an injury set point down in the second set as the Greek star clutched his right leg before receiving treatment.
Despite his disappointing defeat, the Greek will still have his chance to win a medal in Tokyo as he competes in the mixed doubles alongside Maria Sakkari, who has also been eliminated from the singles.
Humbert, who now possesses a 2-0 record against Tsitsipas, will now face Karen Khachanov in the quarter-finals, with victory giving him a guaranteed shot at a medal.
More to follow…
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner