Stefanos Tsitsipas rues Paris loss, admitting: ‘It wasn’t as easy as I had planned’
Stefanos Tsitsipas says his Paris Masters defeat has left him ‘sad’ but he couldn’t deny Ugo Humbert was a worthy victor.
The second seed lost his first match in the tournament to the impressive Frenchman, with the match ultimately decided on three tiebreaks.
Tsitsipas, though, couldn’t help but see it as a missed opportunity.
“I’m sad, for sure, Stefanos Tsitsipas told the press. “It’s a match and a tournament that I could have done better than last year.
“But at the same time, really good for him to be playing good tennis like this.
“I think he’s born in the same year as me. I can’t wait to face him next time.”
The match was more a case of Humbert winning it than Tsitsipas losing it, and he was keen to credit his opponent afterwards.
“He was just creating a lot of opportunities from his forehand side and doing a lot of damage from there,” said Tsitsipas.
“His serve was very consistent. Despite having opportunities where he would serve second serves [and] I could come in [and] be more aggressive, it didn’t seem as easy as I had it planned in my head.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner