Stefanos Tsitsipas: ‘Rafa Nadal is someone I really respect and have always dreamed of beating’
Stefanos Tsitsipas said he has always dreamed of beating Rafael Nadal ahead of facing the Spaniard in the Barcelona Open final tomorrow.
The 22-year-old Greek has beaten the 20-time Grand Slam winner twice in eight previous meetings – including their most recent clash at the Australian Open in February. The world No. 5 also beat Nadal on clay in the semi-finals of the Madrid Masters in 2019.
“It was very close. It was a close match. He had a lot of break point opportunities on my serve,” said Tsitsipas in an interview after beating Jannik Sinner in the Barcelona semi-finals.
“It could have been different, but I stayed tough and I converted those break points [I had]. That was crucial and very important.
“It feels great to be back [in the final]. I will try to redeem myself from last time. [Rafa] is someone that I really respect and have always dreamed of beating.
“The fact that I was able to do it this year pushes me to push myself. I feel like I need experiences like this to grow as a player. A final is always a very important phase in a tournament.”
(Photo credit Ray Giubilo)
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner