Stefanos Tsitsipas lost grandmother minutes before French Open final
Stefanos Tsitsipas learned of the loss of his grandmother just minutes before his French Open final defeat to Novak Djokovic.
The Greek star raced into a two set lead before the Serbian battled back to win in five sets _______ and deny Tsitsipas his first Grand Slam victory.
In a post on social media following his defeat, the 22-year-old said he learned of his grandmother’s passing just five minutes before he stepped onto court.
“Life isn’t about winning or losing. It’s about enjoying every single moment in life whether that’s alone or with others,” said the Greek.
“Living a meaningful life without misery and abjection. Lifting trophies and celebrating wins is something, but not everything.
“Five minutes before entering the court my very beloved grandmother lost her battle with life. A wise woman whose faith in life, and willingness to give and provide can’t be compared to any other human being that I have ever met.
“It’s important to have more people like her in this world. Because people like her make you come alive. They make you dream. I would like to say that regardless of the day, circumstance or situation, this is entirely dedicated to her, and only her.
“Thank you for for raising my father. Without him this wouldn’t have been possible.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner