‘Stefanos Tsitsipas is very far ahead,’ Boris Becker talks Next Gen stars
Stefanos Tsitsipas is very far ahead in terms of being the successor to Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer, according to Boris Becker.
Stefanos Tsitsipas has had an impressive clay-court swing, winning titles in Monte Carlo and Lyon as well as pushing Rafael Nadal all the way in the Barcelona final.
Six-time Major winner Boris Becker believes Tsitsipas must be regarded as one of the favourites for the French Open and suggests he is the closest to ‘The Big Three’.
“Of course it annoys Novak when he is constantly asked who the successors of Roger, Rafa and him are, although they are – as in Rome – currently still the winners.
“Stefanos Tsitsipas has played a very consistent season and won another clay court tournament in Lyon at the weekend.
“He won in Monte-Carlo and was in the semi-finals at the Australian Open – so he has shown absolute world-class performances throughout the year. Maybe he was even better than Sascha Zverev.
“On clay, he is one of the favourites for the French Open. He’s in a tremendous physical shape, has improved his groundstrokes – especially his backhand. I see him very far ahead.”
Tsitsipas reached the semi-final at the French Open last year before falling to Novak Djokovic and will be determined to go one better this time around.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner