Stefanos Tsitsipas avenges Olympics defeat against Ugo Humbert
Stefanos Tsitsipas earned his sweet revenge against his French nemesis Ugo Humbert at the National Bank Open.
The Greek star eventually prevailed 6-3 6-7(13) 6-1 despite losing a 22-minute second-set tie-break, where he spurned five match points.
The world number three lost his two previous encounters against the French star, most recently at the Olympics where Humbert ended Tsitsipas’ medal hopes.
“It’s all about the fighting spirit,” Tsitsipas said. “I’m someone who doesn’t like to give up.
“It wasn’t easy out there today. I had to do a lot. I put a lot of effort into stepping it up and to be my best today.”
The Greek explained how he put the disappointment of the second set behind him to prevail in the decider.
“I took a break, I went to refresh myself. I kind of put it behind,” Tsitsipas said of how he mentally re-set.
“I didn’t want to think about it. Whatever happened happened, and I don’t want anything to affect me. I don’t want anything to get inside my head.
“I just showed incredible mental balance and mental strength to overcome this difficult tie-break that I just experienced…I still had high hopes that I could pull something good off.”
Tsitsipas will now await the winner of all-Russian clash between 15th seed Aslan Karatsev and Karen Khachanov in the third round.
Olympics revenge. 💪
— ATP Tour (@atptour) August 11, 2021
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner