Stefanos Tsitsipas achieves ‘special milestone’ ahead of Toronto
Stefanos Tsitsipas is thrilled to have overtaken Rafael Nadal in the ATP rankings as he returns to action in Toronto this week.
Before making an appearance at the National Bank Open, the Greek star has already cemented his place as world number three ahead of the Spaniard.
Discussing the magnitude of his achievement, the 22-year-old said he will use his career-high ranking as a huge motivation.
“Being at this ranking, it is a huge motivation and a very good indication that I’ve done great so far,” Tsitsipas said.
“[I am] just generally blessed that I’ve put in so much work to make it to the top three, which [I would consider] quite a special milestone.”
The Greek star first entered the top 10 over two years ago after reaching the final in Dubai, though Tsitsipas views his most recent accomplishment as his most important.
“That [Top 10 breakthrough] was a great dream of mine being fulfilled. The top three is on its own, something completely different,” Tsitsipas said.
— Tennis TV (@TennisTV) August 9, 2021
Tsitsipas will hope to continue his form into the National Bank Open, where he faces either Lorenzo Sonego or Ugo Humbert in his opener.
“I’m feeling good with my game, really happy to be back to Toronto, one of my favourite places to compete and play tennis,” Tsitsipas said.
“The location is exactly as I remember it. I’m just generally happy to be competing here again.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner