Stan Wawrinka withdraws from US Open, Andy Murray into main draw
2015 US Open champion Stan Wawrinka has withdrawn from this years Major in New York, which has allowed Andy Murray a spot in the main draw.
Wawrinka lost three match points before losing to Marton Fucsovics in second round of 2021 Australian Open, unfortunately for him it has proved to be his only Grand Slam appearance in 2021.
USTA announced that the 36-year-old had withdrawn from Flushing Meadows due to ongoing recovery from surgery on his left ankle. The Swiss defeated Novak Djokovic in a memorable final five years ago in New York. Wawrinka has played just six matches in 2021, with his last coming in early March.
Following his withdrawal, another former US Open champion has moved into the main draw, Andy Murray. The 2012 champion will make his 15th at Flushing Meadows.
The Brit will next compete in Cincinnati after receiving a wildcard, Murray pulled out of singles at Tokyo Olympics last month citing a minor quad injury.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner