Speedy De Minaur races into French Open second round
Alex De Minaur beat Stefano Travaglia in straight sets to reach the French Open second round.
The 22-year-old triumphed 6-2, 6-4, 7-6 (7-4) against the world No.78 in the first round in Paris.
The world No. 22 took the opening set in just 37 minutes – winning 35 out of 59 points played, while Travaglia made 19 unforced errors.
Travaglia then made the second set much more competitive – hitting 14 winners, however the Italian converted just 1/9 break points and De Minaur broke at 5-4 to take the second set.
The Aussie gained an early break at the start of set three, despite losing his lead mid-way through the set, De Minaur closed it out with an impressive tiebreak to move into round two.
The Aussie star was strong on serve throughout match – winning 69% of first serve points. He also hit 11 winners and 23 winners in the match.
He saved 14 of the 16 break points he faced, and won 43% of points played on the Italian’s serve.
De Minaur will face another Italian in round two as he takes on Marco Cecchinato. The big hitting Italian defeated Yasutaka Uchiyama 3-6, 6-1, 6-2, 6-4 in the opening round.
- Keep up to date with the breaking French Open News
- Follow the biggest matches with our French Open LIVE Commentary
- Miss nothing with Tennishead’s French Open LIVE SCORES service
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- French Open Men’s Singles draw updated daily
- French Open Women’s Singles draw updated daily
- Today’s French Open order of play
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner