Spanish officials make U-turn after hitting out at Tennis Australia
The Royal Spanish Tennis Federation (RFET) has apologised to Tennis Australia (TA) on Saturday after their criticism over the treatment of two Spanish players in quarantine before the Australian Open.
The RFET sent out a press statement on Thursday evening highlighting two players they felt were being harshly treated and accused TA of withholding information concerning the requirement to quarantine in the case of any positive Covid tests on their chartered flight.
“[Players] were not informed about the possibility that they would be severely confined if they travelled on the same plane with a passenger who tested positive, without taking into account the physical proximity of the players affected with that positive,” the press release read.
“Mario Vilella and Carlos Alcaraz are confined in a room without being able to leave for 14 days when they have both performed multiple PCRs that have been negative.
“It is evident that these two players will not be able to compete on equal terms with the rest of the players.”
However, the RFET then apologised for its criticism of Tennis Australia’s handling of quarantine measures in a fresh statement on Saturday morning after one of its stars, Paula Badosa, tested positive two weeks before the Australian Open.
“First of all, we apologise to Tennis Australia if our statement has at any time been interpreted as a criticism of their working methods, nothing is further from our intention,” the new release read.
“The RFET thanks Tennis Australia for the effort to organise, in these times so complicated by the global pandemic, the first Grand Slam of the season, something vital for our tennis players who are going to compete again and generate resources.
“The RFET wants to reiterate its solidarity with all the players who have tested positive. He also wants to support Spanish athletes who, due to different circumstances, are undergoing strict 14-day confinement.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner