Sofia Kenin exits Australian Open, admitting: ‘I couldn’t handle the pressure’
Sofia Kenin gave an honest assessment of her shock Australian Open exit on Thursday, admitting she ‘couldn’t handle the pressure.’
The Australian Open this year was Kenin’s first ever Grand Slam title defence, and it came to a grinding halt as she fell 6-3, 6-2 defeat to world number 65 Kaia Kanepi.
Afterwards, Kenin said that the pressure to deliver as a defending champion had got to her and it’s something she hopes to learn from.
“I obviously felt like I couldn’t find my rhythm,” Sofia Kenin explained. I was obviously way too nervous.
“I guess it’s like the outside pressure. But I felt really nervous.
“I haven’t felt my game for I don’t know how long, but I haven’t really felt my game so well, even in my first round.
“I feel like everyone was always asking me, ‘Would you want to? Do you see yourself getting there and winning again?’ Obviously I said yes.
“I know I couldn’t really handle the pressure. I’m not obviously used to this, so right now I just got to figure out how to play at that level that I played at.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner