‘My body didn’t cooperate and I’m really upset,’ says injured Wimbledon champion
Reigning Wimbledon champion Simona Halep has withdrawn from the Wimbledon Championships after being unable to recover from a calf tear.
The Romanian, who defeated Serena Williams to lift the Wimbledon title in 2019, was hoping to regain fitness in time to defend her title after suffering an injury at the Italian Open in May.
“It is with great sadness that I’m announcing my withdrawal from The Championships as my calf injury has not fully recovered,” said the two-time Grand Slam champion via a statement on social media.
“I gave it everything I had in order to be ready to play Wimbledon and after having such special memories from two years ago, I was excited and honoured to step back on these beautiful courts as defending champion.
“Unfortunately, my body didn’t cooperate and I’ll have to save that feeling for next year.
“I can honestly say that I’m really down and upset about having to take this decision. This period has been difficult but to miss the last two Majors has made it even more challenging mentally and physically. We will see what the future holds but I’m hoping it will make me a stronger person and athlete.
“Thank you to everyone at Wimbledon for your understanding and support.”
— Wimbledon (@Wimbledon) June 25, 2021
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner