‘She was unbelievable’ – Serena Williams pays tribute to sister Venus after winning latest round in rivalry
Serena Williams won the latest instalment of her rivalry with Venus Williams, roaring back from a set down to clinch victory in Lexington.
It was the 31st meeting between the two, and the contest lasted nearly two-and-a-half hours before Serena wrestled it from her sister’s grasp.
It wasn’t without struggle, though, with Serena finding herself 2-4 down in the decider before rattling off four successive games to seal a 3-6, 6-3, 6-4 win.
“I think she played unbelievable, she’s doing so good,” Serena Williams said of sister Venus. “I honestly don’t know how I managed to pull it out of the can.”
“The last couple of games I just really wanted to win because I’ve been losing a lot of those tight sets.
“So I said (to myself) ‘I really want to try and win this.’ Just for my game and confidence. So I really tried to focus on those last two games.”
The win means Serena has won the 10 of the last 12 meetings between the two, and 19 of the 31 overall.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner