‘I played flawlessly. I’m improving every match’, declares Denis Shapovalov
Denis Shapovalov has spoken of how well he is performing at Wimbledon 2021 after his superb straight sets triumph against Roberto Bautista Agut.
The 22-year-old Canadian downed eighth seed Bautista Agut 6-1, 6-3, 7-5 to reach the quarter-finals of Wimbledon for the first time.
The 10th seed defeated two-time champion Andy Murray for the loss of just eight games in the previous round, and will next face 25th seed Karen Khachanov.
“I played some really high-level tennis today. I got a little bit nervous in the third set, but that is totally normal, and I dealt with that really well,” Shapovalov said in a post-match interview.
“I played flawlessly and I am super happy with myself. To beat a player like [Roberto] Bautista Agut in straight sets backs up my level from my match against Andy [Murray].
“I am happy, I feel like I am improving every single match. I knew it was going to be a process on this surface, to really develop my game on it. I have always loved playing on it [grass], it is just about getting comfortable.”
Shapovalov will face either top seed Novak Djokovic or Marton Fucsovics in the semi-finals if he overcomes Khachanov – who he beat in the pair’s only previous meeting.
- Keep up to date with all the breaking Wimbledon News
- Enjoy our exclusive & free ‘Guide to Wimbledon 2021′
- Order the bumper Wimbledon special issue of Tennishead magazine
- Follow our live commentary from all the biggest matches at Wimbledon
- Don’t miss a thing with our Wimbledon Live Scores service
- Follow Tennishead at Wimbledon on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all Tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner