‘Shapovalov and Auger-Aliassime will both win Grand Slams’, predicts John McEnroe
John McEnroe believes Canadian duo Denis Shapovalov and Felix Auger-Aliassime will both win Grand Slam titles in “the not-too-distant future”.
The seven-time Major singles champion also believes the pair “could go pretty deep” at this year’s Wimbledon and currently gives Shapovalov “a slight edge” over his compatriot.
Shapovalov reached the semi-finals at Queen’s Club last week, while Auger-Aliassime made the last four in Halle.
“[On which of Shapovalov and Auger-Aliassime will have more success on grass] Very tough question. Both of them could go pretty deep in this tournament, without a doubt,” McEnroe told ESPN.
“I think both have made some great strides and progress. Denis is a little more advanced. I’d give him the slight edge. Felix just beat Roger. His confidence is on the rise. He’s looking to be more aggressive and move forward more.
“It’s a tough call. I would give Denis a slight edge at this particular time. I think both of them are going to win majors at some stage in the not-too-distant future.”
Shapovalov, 22, is ranked No. 12 in the world – while 20-year-old Auger-Aliassime currently sits at 19th in the ATP rankings.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner