‘Serena Williams will be a force to be reckoned with at the Australian Open,’ says Boris Becker
Serena Williams will be ‘a force to be reckoned with’ if she can get through the first week at the Australian Open, says Boris Becker.
Williams has not won a Grand Slam since 2017, although she has reached four finals in the time.
She is in Australia to try again though, and if she can claim one more major title she will a record-equalling 24th Grand Slam – although she already holds the record outright for the Open Era.
“I’m delighted that Serena Williams, as a young mother, has taken the strain and travelled to Australia,” Eurosport expert Becker said.
“She is an outstanding tennis champion. It speaks to her motivation and love for the sport.
“Does it get more difficult with every Grand Slam tournament? Yes. Time doesn’t stand still for her either. And priorities also change when you have a young daughter.
“But on hard court and on grass, I still think she’s one of the strongest players.
“If she gets through the first week well, she’s a force to be reckoned with. But she should do it soon!”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner