Serena Williams reveals her French Open plans as she insists fitness should not be a worry for anyone
Serena Williams says she currently plans on travelling to Europe to play the French Open, although she admits the situation could change.
With the coronavirus leaving the tennis schedules in tatters for much of the year, players are facing an unprecedented scheduling dilemma of two Grand Slams within a month of each other.
It’s further complicated by the fact they are both on very different surfaces, as well as likely quarantine requirements attached to international travel.
Williams, though, is optimistic she can fit everything in.
“I see myself doing it all if it happens,” Serena Williams said in a virtual press conference on Saturday.
“But I am not planning for the future, as tournaments got cancelled I was just like, ‘Let me just work on today and see what happens’.”
One concern raised by many has been how fit players will be when tennis returns, but Serena Williams says that shouldn’t really be an excuse for anyone.
“Everyone has an opportunity to be more fit now, because we spent so much time at home to work on ourselves,” Williams said.
“Fitness wise, there is going to be a tonne of fitness, but match fitness is different to fit-fitness.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner