WATCH: Heartbroken Serena Williams forced to retire from Wimbledon with injury
Serena Williams is out of Wimbledon 2021 after being forced to retire from her opening round match against Aliaksandra Sasnovich.
The seven-time champion was level at 3-3 in the first set with the world No. 100 when she was forced to withdraw with an injury.
The world No. 8 broke to go up 3-1, before she slipped in the next game when she was broken back. The American had started the match with strapping on her right thigh.
We’re heartbroken for you, Serena.
— Wimbledon (@Wimbledon) June 29, 2021
She received treatment off court and returned with a limp, before trying to continue and deciding she could not play on.
“I’m so sad for Serena. She is a great champion. It happens sometimes in tennis, but all the best to her,” said Sasnovich after the match.
Belarus’s Sasnovich will play either Nao Hibino or Bernarda Pera in the second round.
— Tennis GIFs 🎾🎥 (@tennis_gifs) June 29, 2021
- Keep up to date with all the breaking Wimbledon News
- Enjoy our exclusive & free ‘Guide to Wimbledon 2021′
- Order the bumper Wimbledon special issue of Tennishead magazine
- Follow our live commentary from all the biggest matches at Wimbledon
- Don’t miss a thing with our Wimbledon Live Scores service
- Follow Tennishead at Wimbledon on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all Tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner