‘Serena Williams doesn’t need to prove anything’ – Coach hits back at Ion Tiriac comments
Coach Patrick Mouratoglou says Serena Williams has ‘nothing to prove’ as he bit back at criticism from Ion Tiriac.
Tiriac, who is the owner of the Madrid Masters, has been a long-standing critic of the 23-time Grand Slam winner.
His most recent comments were perhaps his most deplorable yet though, as he said: “At this age and the weight she is now, she does not move as easily as he did 15 years ago.
“Serena Williams was a sensational player. If she had a little decency, she would retire! From all points of view.”
Mouratoglou, though, has defended his player, using social media to subtly reminding Tiriac that Serena is still braking down boundaries.
“A year ago today, Serena reached a new milestone: she won her first title as a mother, at the ASB Classic in Auckland.
“She didn’t need to prove anything at that stage – but she did prove the world that she still has it in her, no matter the circumstances, no matter the challenges.
“Let’s make 2021 a memorable one.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner