‘It’s still all about Serena Williams,’ says coach ahead of French Open
Serena Williams’ coach Patrick Mouratoglou claims he is not concerned about her form heading into Roland Garros despite preparations not going as planned.
Williams, who has gone four years without winning a Slam as she chases the elusive 24 Grand Slam titles achieved by Margaret Court, has suffered early round exits in both Rome and Parma.
The 39-year-old lost to Nadia Podoroska in her opener in Rome last week before another early exit against Katerina Siniakova at the Emilia-Romagna Open in Parma.
However, despite preparations not going according to plan for the three-time French Open champion, Mouratoglou claims he is not concerned.
“I think she lost because she was not ready,” Mouratoglou told Sky Sports.
“I don’t know, but maybe it was not a good idea to go and play in Parma after losing in Rome because her match in Rome showed a lot of things that still needed to be worked on to be able to compete at the highest level.
“I think it’s always interesting to play matches because it gives you a clear vision of where you are, so that was good in that way because we know what she still needs to accomplish in order to be ready for Roland Garros.
“I’m not worried in general because if she does the job she will be ready. It’s just about doing the job.
“I’ve always said regarding Serena that it’s all about her and it’s still all about her.”
Mouratoglou, who has been in Serena Williams’ camp since 2012, referenced this year’s Australian Open as a prime example of how Williams can play herself into form on the biggest stage.
The Frenchman said: “When I saw her before the Australian Open for preparation, I thought ‘wow’ – a lot of work to get ready. But in a short period of time she was able to really hit great form. It didn’t take her too much time to get ready.”
Chained to the rhythm. 🥁
— Patrick Mouratoglou (@pmouratoglou) May 12, 2021
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner