‘Serena Williams always steps it up a level on the big points’, says Chris Evert
Chris Evert believes Serena Williams is “looking better and better” at the 2021 French Open, highlighting how well the 39-year-old still plays the big points.
Williams – a three-time Roland Garros winner – defeated Mikaela Buzarnescu 6-3, 5-7, 6-1 in the second round of the tournament on Wednesday.
The eighth seed will face fellow American Danielle Collins in the third round on Friday.
Eurosport expert and 18-time major champion Evert said: “One thing you can still say about Serena is that she always steps it up a level on the big points.
“She hasn’t forgotten about the ebbs and flows of a match, when she has to turn it on, when she needs to focus a little more.
“Buzarnescu lost a lot of break points, the big points, because Serena just came on top and she hasn’t lost that instinct to play well when there is danger. (Serena) is looking better and better”
Williams – a 23-time Grand Slam winner – won her only previous encounter with Collins in three sets in the WTA Yarra Valley Classic quarter-finals in February.
- Keep up to date with the breaking French Open News
- Follow the biggest matches with our French Open LIVE Commentary
- Miss nothing with Tennishead’s French Open LIVE SCORES service
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- French Open Men’s Singles draw updated daily
- French Open Women’s Singles draw updated daily
- Today’s French Open order of play
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner