Serena Williams sent packing by Srebotnik
The seeds keep on falling at the French, and this time its a big one. Fifth seed and former champion Serena Williams was stunned by No.27 seed Katarina Srebotnik in the third round, losing 6-4 6-4.
“She’s been in a funk for a couple of weeks, mother Oracene tried to explain. “She’s been like that since she got here. She wasn’t confident. Her head just wasn’t there and I can’t explain why.”
Despite playing in the best conditions of the week so far, world No.4 Serena Williams looked out of sorts from the offset, handing Srebotnik a break in the opening game. Although she broke back, it didnt get much better for the increasingly unhappy-looking American, as the Slovenian played the percentage game, making only 9 unforced errors in the first set.
Williams dominated in the second but failed to take her chances against the world No.24’s steady game, and no amount of one-legged fist pumping could save the 2002 champ from falling to Srebotnik, who will rank this as possibly the finest result of her career so far.
The result will also put a smile on the face of Ana Ivanovic, who was due to meet Serena in the quarters. The world No.2 navigated her way through a tricky first set against rising star Caroline Wozniacki, before cruising to a 6-4 6-1 victory.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner