Seeds crash out in Washington DC
Marat Safin, Feliciano Lopez and Mardy Fish were the big name casualties in the first round of the Legg Mason Classic in Washington DC tennis championships on Tuesday.
It was business as usual for the top two seeds, though Andy Roddick and ATP International Series hard court event.
The two met in the final of last week’s ATP event in Los Angeles where 6ft 6-inch Del Potro won his third successive title.
Roddick got past qualifier Ramon Delgado from Paraguay 6-3, 7-6, while Del Potro won his 15th consecutive match by beating American wild card Jesse Levine 6-2, 6-3 at Washington DC.
Elsewhere, it was a day to remember for the underdogs as American qualifier Robert Kendrick, Alejandro Falla from Colombia and Italian Fabio Fognini all got past seeds.
Kendrick took out third seed Lopez, 6-3, 7-5, Falla stopped fifth seed Fish 5-7, 6-4, 6-2 and Fognini profited from a neck injury to sixth seed Safin that forced the Russian to retire after losing the first set 7-5.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner