‘See you very soon’ – Simona Halep announces comeback tournament
Simona Halep will resume preparations to defend her Wimbledon title after announcing she will return to the competitive scene later this month at a grass-court event in Bad Homburg.
The Romanian tore her left calf muscle in Rome last month, on the eve of French Open. Halep was forced to withdraw from the tournament.
The 29-year-old posted footage of a practice session at the weekend and has now announced a return to competitive action, suggesting she will be raring to go at Wimbledon, which starts on 28th June.
Excited to share this news 😊
— Simona Halep (@Simona_Halep) June 8, 2021
In a video message on Twitter, Halep said: “Hi guys, I have some good news to share with you. I’m super excited to announce that I will be playing for the first edition in Bad Homburg and I’m looking forward to seeing all the fans in the stands. See you very soon.”
Petra Kvitova has also entered the event which runs from 20th June – 26th June.
Halep recorded her second Grand Slam title after beating Serena Williams in the 2019 Wimbledon final. The 29-year-old won her maiden major title at Roland Garros 2018, defeating American Sloane Stephens in the final.
- Keep up to date with the breaking French Open News
- Follow the biggest matches with our French Open LIVE Commentary
- Miss nothing with Tennishead’s French Open LIVE SCORES service
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- French Open Men’s Singles draw updated daily
- French Open Women’s Singles draw updated daily
- Today’s French Open order of play
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner