‘Olympics is the highlight of the year’, declares Maria Sakkari
Maria Sakkari has spoken of how much the Olympics means to Greece and asserted that she will “do everything” to win a medal.
The Greek revealed she is “so passionate and patriotic” and that the Tokyo Games will “probably be the highlight” of the 2021 season.
The world number 19 – who reached the semi-finals of the French Open last month – will be competing at the Olympics for the first time.
As well as featuring in singles, Sakkari will partner ATP world number four Stefanos Tsitsipas in the mixed doubles event.
“As a Greek – the Olympics started in Greece – I’m so looking forward [to it]. It’s one of the highlights of the year – probably the highlight of the year,” the 25-year-old told the ITF.
“It’s a big thing for our country, for our people. Everyone’s looking forward. I think we have a strong team in tennis and I think we can do quite well.
“It means the world to me. It’s the second most important thing in my life. It’s family first and then it’s Greece. I love my country. I’m so passionate and patriotic.
“Every time I go back home, I receive the love from every Greek person. It’s such a different feeling, I will definitely miss it when I stop playing tennis.
“I’m going to do everything [I can] and everything is possible to win a medal in the Olympics. Just make myself proud, make my country proud one more time. It means so much to me.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner