Safina and Errani taste WTA Tour success
Dinara Safina and Sara Errani were the big winners on the womens tour over the weekend as they won in LA and Slovenia respectively.
Sara Errani is having the time of her life right now having claimed back-to-back WTA singles titles, clocking up a 10-match winning streak in the process.
She pushed her tally into double figures with a 6-3, 6-3 win over Spains Anabel Medina Garrigues in Sundays Slovenia Open final in Portoroz having beaten Maria Kirilenko and Caroline Wozniacki en route.
I haven’t changed anything this year, said Sara Errani, who is up 13 spots to No.43 in todays singles world rankings.
I just try to practice hard every day, and the results are starting to come.
Another young woman at the top of her game is Russias Safina who followed up her semi-final victory against top seed Jelena Jankovic by crushing Italys Flavia Pennetta 6-4, 6-2 in the final of the East West Bank Classic in LA.
The victory handed Safina her second WTA title of 2008 after winning the tier 1 event in Berlin in May.
“I was a little bit nervous but I think I played a pretty good match for the final, said the world No.8.
Even my coach said he didn’t know what was going on with me, that I was so quiet on the court. Now I have to continue playing like that and not go back to the old Dinara!”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner