‘Grass is amazing. It fits my game’ – Aryna Sabalenka reaches Wimbledon semi-finals
Aryna Sabalenka said she is “enjoying every second on court” after defeating Ons Jabeur in straight sets to reach the Wimbledon semi-finals.
The second seed downed the 26-year-old Tunisian 6-4, 6-3 in an impressive quarter-final display on Centre Court at the All England Club.
The 23-year-old Belarusian is through to the last four of a Grand Slam for the first time – having previously not made it past the fourth round.
“I’m really happy with this win. It’s always tough matches against Ons. She’s such a great player and amazing person so it’s tough to play against her,” Sabalenka said in her on-court interview.
The moment second seed Aryna Sabalenka made it into the semi-finals on a full-capacity Centre Court at #Wimbledon
— BBC Sport (@BBCSport) July 6, 2021
“The atmosphere was unbelievable today. I’m happy that from the side it looks like everything is working for me. Sometimes it’s really tricky shots on the grass. Sometimes it’s tough to do anything with the ball.
“I’m really happy that I’m still here in the tournament and somehow I find a way to win matches here. This surface – it’s amazing and it fits amazing my game. I’m enjoying every second on the court.”
Sabalenka will play eighth seed Karolina Pliskova in the semi-finals on Thursday. The 29-year-old Czech will also be making her Wimbledon final four debut.
- Keep up to date with all the breaking Wimbledon News
- Enjoy our exclusive & free ‘Guide to Wimbledon 2021′
- Order the bumper Wimbledon special issue of Tennishead magazine
- Follow our live commentary from all the biggest matches at Wimbledon
- Don’t miss a thing with our Wimbledon Live Scores service
- Follow Tennishead at Wimbledon on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all Tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner