Roland Garros reveals new look of Court Philippe Chatrier after roof installation prompts makeover
The full new look of Philippe Chatrier court at Roland Garros has been revealed after work to install the brand new roof was completed ahead of schedule.
Retractable roofs have been a feature on the showcourts at Grand Slam for some time, with organisers under increasing pressure to protect their schedules from the elements.
The French Open was the last of the four Slams to address the issue, and was hit particularly hard by torrential rain in Paris last year.
However, Roland Garros wash-outs will now be a thing of the past, and Philippe Chatrier has a brand new look to go with the fresh innovation.
The new look of Philippe Chatrier.
— José Morgado (@josemorgado) February 6, 2020
Testing will now take place on the roof to make sure it is fully operational for the 2020 French Open, which starts in May.
It is made up of 11 trusses, each weighing in a 330 metric tonnes, with each truss split into seven sections measuring 15m long and 3m high.
The trusses were manufactured close to Venice, and took teo years to construct, followed by eight months to install.
It will take around 15 minutes to close the roof, which covers total surface area of one hectare.
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates with our legendary newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner