‘Roland Garros is the final goal’, doctor of Rafa Nadal gives fitness update ahead of clay court season
Angel Ruiz Cotorro, doctor of Rafael Nadal, has given an update on the 20-time Grand Slam champion’s fitness ahead of the European clay-court season.
The 33-year-old Spaniard is set to return to action at the Monte Carlo Masters next week, before likely featuring at tournaments in Barcelona, Madrid and Rome prior to the French Open.
“(Nadal) is training well. He is training hard. His goal is clay, Monte Carlo first and Roland Garros is the final goal,” Cotorro told RTVE.
Nadal is an 11-time champion and holds a 71-5 record at the Monte Carlo Masters 1000 event – which will run from April 11-18.
— Rafa Nadal Academy by Movistar (@rnadalacademy) April 1, 2021
The ATP 500 in Barcelona will be played the following week (April 19-25), before the Masters 1000 tournaments in Madrid (May 2-9) and Rome (May 9-16). Roland Garros is due to be held from May 23 until June 6.
The Spaniard last played at the Australian Open in February – where he lost in the quarter-finals to Stefanos Tsitsipas having led by 2-0 in sets. He had been struggling with a back injury, and withdrew from recent ATP events in Rotterdam and Miami.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner