‘Roland Garros is my biggest goal,’ says Dominic Thiem
US Open champion Dominic Thiem has his sights set on a first Roland Garros title and admits it is the biggest goal in his career.
The World No 4 had a disappointing Australian Open, crashing out in straight sets to Grigor Dimitrov in the fourth round after a remarkable comeback against Nick Kyrgios.
The Austrian is now looking towards his favourite Grand Slam Roland Garros and the two-time finalist has admitted the French Open is the Major he really wants to win.
“Roland Garros is by far the tournament where I have had the best results in the past,” said Thiem.
“A long time ago, I played the final in the junior event aged 18 and 19. After winning that first Major title at last year’s US Open, Roland Garros is my biggest goal and something I really want to achieve.
“The Roland Garros title is something I want to achieve this year, but at the same time, I know that everything has to be perfect; otherwise, it will not happen.”
Dominic Thiem suffered defeat in the final of the French Open in 2018 and 2019 to 13-time winner Rafael Nadal, before losing in the quarter-finals to Diego Schwartzman in last year’s event.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner