‘Roger Federer was my idol’ – Auger-Aliassime downs Swiss legend
Felix Auger-Aliassime defeated his ‘idol’ Roger Federer to progress to the quarter-finals in Halle.
The 20-year-old Candian Auger-Aliassime battled back from a set down to defeat Federer 4-6, 6-3, 6-2.
Federer’s faced a player born in the 2000s for the first time in his career. In fact, Federer turned pro in 1998, a full two years before the young Canadian was even born.
“It’s amazing. An amazing win, I for sure didn’t expect this. Of course I come into the match trying to win but Roger was my idol like many of us growing up. First off, it was a huge honour to play him before he retired and to beat him is something amazing that I have with me. I will cherish as it’s a great moment for me and hopefully I can continue in the tournament.” Auger-Aliassime said in his post-match interview.
BIGGEST WIN OF HIS CAREER.
Canada’s Félix Auger-Aliassime defeats the legendary Roger Federer 4-6, 6-3, 6-2 to reach the quarter-finals of @ATPHalle.
— Tennis Canada (@TennisCanada) June 16, 2021
“I always thought he would be gone by the time I arrived because he was winning Grand Slams when I was only five-years old so I never expected to play him. I just wanted to be a professional one day, I didn’t think I would get to his level. So now to be on the same court and get the win is an honour for me.”
Felix Auger-Aliassime will face either Jan-Lennard Struff or Marcos Giron in the last eight.
- Keep up to date with the breaking French Open News
- Follow the biggest matches with our French Open LIVE Commentary
- Miss nothing with Tennishead’s French Open LIVE SCORES service
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- French Open Men’s Singles draw updated daily
- French Open Women’s Singles draw updated daily
- Today’s French Open order of play
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner