Roger Federer team event, the Laver Cup, at odds with French Open over 2020 re-scheduling
Top players like Rafa Nadal and Alexander Zverev will have to decide whether to play in the French Open or to support Roger Federer and his team event the Laver Cup
September 2020 could be a busy time for tennis’ top talent as the US Open, the French Open and the Laver Cup all announced their events would take place within a 4 week spell with the Laver Cup organisers appearing to pour scorn over the French Open’s decision to move the Paris Grand Slam to a new date.
On a day of big news for tennis players and fans, the Laver Cup acted decisively following earlier messages from both the French Open and the US Open. The Federer managed team event said they would be sticking to their existing schedule by playing their event from 25th – 27th September in Boston which is now right in the middle of the re-scheduled French Open.
The Laver Cup notice made particular mention of the French Open’s shock decision to move to a September date without prior discussion with other events, players or organisers. The Laver Cup said, “This announcement (from the French Open) came as a surprise to us and our partners. We want everyone to know that we intend to hold Laver Cup 2020 as currently scheduled”
The coronavirus pandemic has caused widespread corruption to the international tennis calendar with many events either cancelled or postponed leaving tennis players, coaches and tournament employees either severely out of pocket or unable to earn a living at all.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner