‘Roger Federer makes shots nobody can – he is very fun to watch’, says Kei Nishikori
Kei Nishikori said Roger Federer was his inspiration to become a tennis player and that the Swiss star is one of the few players he gets excited to watch.
World No. 39 Nishikori is making his first clay court appearance of the season at the Barcelona Open ATP 500 event this week. He faces Guido Pella in the first round today.
The 31-year-old Japanese answered questions from fans in a video for the ATP Tour YouTube channel, including: ‘who was your inspiration when you wanted to become a tennis player?’
“Roger. (He is) just fun to watch. Of course he’s a great player but also (at the) same time very fun to watch,” Nishikori answered.
“There’s not too many players I get excited to watch but he is one of the best. He makes great shots that nobody can do and (is) just fun to watch.”
Nishikori has played the 20-time Grand Slam winner 11 times – winning on three occasions.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner