Roger Federer lands difficult draw at the Geneva Open
Roger Federer has found himself in a tough section of the draw as he makes his tournament debut at the Geneva Open next week.
In a tough top quarter of the draw, the 20-time Grand Slam champion will face either Jordan Thompson or experienced clay speciaist Pablo Andujar in the second round.
If the Swiss star can navigate his way through his second round tie, Federer is likely to face a difficult quarter-final encounter, with Santiago champion Cristian Garin and former US Open champion Marin Cilic also sharing his quarter.
Chilean star Garin has been one of the most consistent performers on clay in recent years, collecting five ATP tour titles on the surface in the last two years.
Roger Federer has also been troubled by Cilic in previous encounters, with the Croat earning a straight-sets win against Federer en route to his 2014 US Open title.
The 20-time Grand Slam champion will make just his second appearance on tour this year and will compete on clay for the first time since his semi-final run at the French Open in 2019.
The top seed returned for the first time in 13 months at the Qatar Open in March, where he fell to eventual champion Nikoloz Basilashvili in the quarter-finals.
Federer will be aiming to become the fourth Swiss player to lift the Geneva trophy, with Stan Wawrinka the most recent Swiss star to win in 2017.
Second seed Denis Shapovalov, who ran Rafael Nadal close in Rome earlier this week, is the headline name in the bottom half.
The Canadian star will likely meet Stefano Travaglia in the second round and shares the bottom half with fourth seed Grigor Dimitrov, Fabio Fognini and eighth seed Adrian Mannarino.
In the second quarter, third seed Casper Ruud is expected to prevail. The Norwegian, who is chasing his first ATP Tour title of the season, boasts an 11-4 record on his favoured surface in 2021 and has already reached three semi-finals this year in Monte-Carlo, Munich and Madrid.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner