Roger Federer: ‘It is a true honour for me to congratulate Rafa Nadal on his 20th Grand Slam victory’
Roger Federer has paid tribute to ‘greatest rival’ Rafael Nadal after the Spaniard equalled his record of 20 Grand Slam titles.
Nadal won his 13th French Open title on Sunday, beating word number one Novak Djokovic in straight sets.
It put the Mallorcan in exclusive company with Federer at the to of the all time rankings, and the 39-year-old has welcomed him into the fold.
“I have always had the utmost respect for my friend Rafa as a person and as a champion,” Roger Federer tweeted after Rafael Nadal won the French Open final.
“As my greatest rival over many years, I believe we have pushed each other to become better players.
“Therefore, it is a true honour for me to congratulate him on his 20th Grand Slam victory.
“It is especially amazing that he has now won Roland Garros an incredible 13 times, which is one of the greatest achievements in sport.
“I also congratulate his team because nobody can do this alone. Well done Rafa. You deserve it.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner