‘Roger Federer is one of the four or five Wimbledon favourites’, says former ATP star
French Open tournament director Guy Forget believes Roger Federer can “make it back to the semi-finals of big tournaments” and said – “then anything can happen”.
Former world No. 4 Forget added that playing at the French Open would give Federer the opportunity to work on “his footwork and the punches”.
Federer reached the fourth round of Roland Garros – but pulled out before his match against Matteo Berrettini after a gruelling third round win over Dominik Koepfer.
“[On if Federer can win Wimbledon] A very difficult question. I wish it for him. He came to Roland Garros because he needs matches,” the Frenchman told Tages-Anzeiger.
“And I think he’s a very good clay court player. If Rafael Nadal hadn’t shown up, he would have won Roland Garros four or five times. I also think that Paris will bring him a lot for the lawn season.
“It gives him the opportunity to work on his footwork and the punches. And it helps him gain confidence. He needs matches. And [his] knee is getting better and better, as I hear.
“I think he can make it back to the semi-finals of the big tournaments. Safe on grass. And then anything can happen. At Wimbledon he is one of the four or five favorites for me.”
World No. 8 Federer will next feature at the ATP 500 event in Halle next week.
- Keep up to date with the breaking French Open News
- Follow the biggest matches with our French Open LIVE Commentary
- Miss nothing with Tennishead’s French Open LIVE SCORES service
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- French Open Men’s Singles draw updated daily
- French Open Women’s Singles draw updated daily
- Today’s French Open order of play
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner