‘Roger Federer is a genius. I think he will play for a while’, says Simona Halep
Simona Halep expects Roger Federer to continue playing for a while, as well as identifying the Swiss’ playing style as the reason he has had fewer injuries than Rafael Nadal.
Federer made his comeback from having two knee surgeries last year at the Qatar Open in Doha last week. The 39-year-old lost to eventual champion Nikoloz Basilashvili in the quarter-finals.
The 20-time major champion had not played since reaching the Australian Open semi-finals last year.
“I always admired Federer, he is a genius from my point of view,” said Halep in an interview with Digisport.
“I think he will play for a while, it is clear that he does it with passion. I don’t know how much he will be able to physically, the wear and tear is felt after so many years. But if he says he will play at Wimbledon and the Olympics, so be it.
“Federer did not have so many injuries because of his gamestyle. Nadal has a greater game of wear and that is why he is more prone to injuries.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner